OVABAN (by prescription ONLY to the active colonies that Fairchild is helping sterilize. If you do not live in our area, please contact your veterinarian.)
Ovaban is utilized as a prescription oral contraceptive to reduce the number of litters born into a colony while the cats are being humane trapped and neutered. The dosages indicated below are low enough to be safe but effective based on previous studies. We have had great success in preventing HUNDREDS of Pregnancies in the past 10 years, thus reducing the unwanted cat overpopulation BY MILLIONS!
NEVER give more medication than is directed. Human Megace (40 mg/ml) is diluted down to 5 mg per ml with distilled water–this suspension is used instead of crushing the name-brand Ovaban 5 mg tablets (1 tablet = 1 ml).
It is very important that you continually evaluate the size of your colony and insure that you are using the correct dosage and frequency for the size of your colony.
|Total Number of Cats in the Colony||Dosage / Frequency of Colony|
|< 5 cats||0.5 ml ONCE a week|
|5-7 cats||1.0 ml ONCE a week|
|8-11 cats||1.5 ml ONCE a week|
|12-15 cats||1.0 ml TWICE a week|
|16-19 cats||1.5 ml TWICE a week|
|20-23 cats||1.6 ml TWICE a week|
|24-27 cats||2.0 ml TWICE a week|
|28-31 cats||2.2 ml TWICE a week|
|32-35 cats||2.5 ml TWICE a week|
|36-39 cats||2.8 ml TWICE a week|
|40 + cats||3.0 ml TWICE a week|
1) This medication MUST be mixed in CANNED cat food and served on multiple plates or dishes (NO PAPER). Use one 5.5 oz can of cat food for every 3 cats in your colony. It is very important to spread it out on as many plates as possible so the entire colony is being medicated as evenly as possible.
2) Shake the bottle of medication vigorously as the ovaban settles to the bottom. It is very important that the ovaban is mixed thoroughly before dosing to avoid under/overdose. Divide the appropriate dose of medication for your colony evenly among the plates of food and mix it thoroughly into each plate of food.
3) DO NOT DISPENSE IN MILK OR MILK PRODUCTS!
4) Store medication with bottle tightly capped in a cool, dry place away from sunlight.
5) Wash syringe with dish soap and water. Rinse thoroughly. Allow syringe to air dry on a paper towel.
6) DO NOT SKIP OR MISS A DOSE! If you were unable to dose the cats on your scheduled day, do so on the very next day and resume your schedule the following week. For colonies that require a frequency of 2 x per week, the dosages MUST be spaced out.
If you are currently on our Ovaban program, Please email Dr. Fry @ email@example.com for refills 2 weeks in advance—medication may be picked up at THE VET ON MAIN (330 West Main Street, Rt 724, Birdsboro, PA 19508) or at our monthly surgery in the back of TVOM. If you were using Feral Stat, you will need to purchase Ovaban or Megesterol Acetate from another source. THIS IS ONLY AVAILABLE TO COLONIES ON OUR ACTIVE LIST AND CAN NOT BE DISPENSED TO THOSE OUT of STATE.